Thursday, October 30, 2014

I Can't Cook

Hi.  My name is Sarah and I am a terrible cook.

But, man do I try. And, the worst part: I actually really like to cook. I just am not good. At all. There's an upside to this: I have been blessed with a husband who chokes down my gluey pasta and rubbery meat. And, he does so with grace and kindness. Almost like he appreciates my effort. The kiddo, well, that's a different story. She's brutally honest.

Listen, like the rest of us, I don't have time to spend hours in the kitchen each day, pouring over recipes and perfectly creating meals. So, I read through the steps and follow them. Really, I do. So, why the eff doesn't anything turn out well?!

Within the past few weeks, I have ruined pot roast, pasta primavera (twice - don't ask) and tacos. Now. Who ruins tacos? Me, that's who. I believe that the guys at the row of restaurants down the street is learning my husband's shoe size and childhood dog's name.

This past weekend, husband, Baba and I went camping with my Mom and sister. I thoughtfully chose some delicious recipes from my now-least-favorite-website-ever, Pinterest. We made each one of them and they were so good. Notice I didn't say "I made each one of them." And, when husband, in an attempt to make me feel better over my recent epic fails said, "Honey, the meals you made this past weekend were so delicious," I rolled my eyes and, through frustrated tears said (insert tone of whiny four-year-old here), "But, I didn't actually cook one of them myseeeeellllffff!"

So, what the deuce? In cooking, there's not necessarily an "A" for effort. If the food's not edible, it doesn't really matter how hard you try.


Despite the obvious frustration, I am not giving up.  I love food and I love giving my family good, healthy foods. I love eating good, healthy foods. And, I actually love cooking good, healthy foods. I would just love if more of the attempts actually ended in good.

So, here I am - asking for advice. What's a girl who wants to actually spend time in the kitchen to do? How to learn the right ways to do things when just reading recipes doesn't seem to work? Please and thank you.

Yours truly - Helpless in the Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment