Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The New Witching Hour

What is it about four p.m.?  Three-fifty p.m. is easy-peasy.  Four o’clock hits and all hell breaks loose.  I have recently been laid off and so my kids are home with me all day. I know, cue the violins. But hear me out, please.  We have lots of fun in the mornings going on various adventures.  Lunch and nap follow and everyone seems to know what is expected of them.  Nap time is over and play time commences.  All seems to be going well and then, bam!  It’s four o’clock.  Daddy can’t get home soon enough as far as I am concerned.  No amount of projects, crafts, games, toys, TV shows, or even the sacred IPad, is enough to induce good behavior.  The three year-old and 1 year-old are fighting over toys, tearing apart the house, jumping on the couch, annoying the dog, wanting Mommy to be the entertainer extraordinaire.  (Did the previous seven hours mean nothing?)  Meanwhile, Mommy is attempting to cook a homemade, nutritious dinner which needs to be ready by five-thirty or these precious kids will really lose it.  On the really bad days, a glass of “mommy juice,” as one of my dear friends calls it, tends to be the best coping mechanism.  Wink, wink.

Maybe it’s the anticipation of the hour.  They know it’s almost dinner time, they know Daddy will be home soon-ish. They also are probably sick of Mommy and would like someone different to take over. Me too, kids.  At this point, the letters d-a-d-d-y take on a whole new meaning for all of us.  (Incidentally, the letters I would like to conjure an appearance are g-r-a-m-m-y.) But, I am not quite sure Daddy understands the importance of his homecoming.  I do know that he better be ready to hit the ground running. 

Daddy arrives, said nutritious dinner is consumed, and all is right in the world again.  Until tomorrow.
 
Photo taken sometime after four o'clock.
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment