Monday, October 20, 2014

Moms Unite! Mothering Through Social Media.

Not too long ago, it would have been virtually unheard of to meet someone in person that you really don't know. At all. Before the age of this Internet thing - which I am pretty sure is sticking around, by the way.

I remember back when "you've got mail" was the newest, hottest thing and that ding with the mailbox flag suddenly meant that someone who used to call or even write a letter (what's that, by the way?) now was able to electronically send a message - the start of today's Immediate Gratification society.

And, if you've followed us at all, you know that I have really practiced more of a Hand's Free mentality toward parenting.  I am far from perfect at this attempt, but while Baba is awake, my phone is (meant to be) not at the forefront of our daily activities. That doesn't mean that I am not drawn to every ding, tweet and ring. But, my priority is Baba.

With that, there is no denying that we live in a different time than when connection meant sitting in the closet with the phone cord wrapped around your finger talking to your best friend, who, coincidentally, lived three doors down. And, balancing where I really wish things still were (for innocence and simplicity's sake) with where they undoubtedly are.  So, it's a fact: I love social media.

I love that it keeps me connected. I love that I can still be social coordinator of our family, because, well, I know who is where, doing what and with whom. Husband would remain clueless if it wasn't for me. And, I love that I get to watch children grow up before my eyes. Here's the kicker - many, if not the majority, of these children are not littles that I even know. But, I do.

I know them because I have connected with their Mommas on social media platforms designed to bring together women who are all going through the same stages at the same time. Right now, it's all about potty training (ugh. It sucks. But, that's a different story for a different day). Aside from the world's worst task, we all watch each other's kiddos smile, laugh, grown, learn and play. It's bliss, really.

The support is like no other. Who else knows about the daily torments adventures more than someone living it every day - just like me?

So, earlier this month, Baba and I were planning a trip to visit my Grandma. In this social media life, I remembered that one of my favorite Mommas lives not far from Grams. And, so I reached out. Never having met this woman, but feeling like she was an old friend, it felt like the only natural thing to do. And, natural it was.  We met up at the local children's museum. And, we watched our littles play. And, play.

It was the sweetest thing.



I believe in socialization for Baba. Duh. I am the biggest preschool advocate there is. But, I also believe in play dates and random encounters with other kids so that Baba learns to get along with different types of kiddos.

Baba and "Baby" (her pet name for her new little friend) couldn't get enough of each other. They're at the perfect age to enjoy the company of others just like them. And, their Mommas couldn't get enough of watching them play.

At the end of the day, we all made new friends. And, there's no price on that. Two weeks later, Baba is still asking for "Baby."

I am pretty sure this is a friendship that has made its way past the screen and into our lives.

See you next time, "Baby."


1 comment:

  1. Love this. I'm part of a group called Midnight Mamacitas. It's nice to know that even in the middle of the night there is another Mama there to "hold your hand" when breastfeeding or rocking a sick child to sleep.

    ReplyDelete