Thursday, May 1, 2014

Easy Meal Idea: Smoothies

Ok, ok, so smoothies are not some genius new idea. I know.  Also, they are so last year and now everyone's juicing, yes?  Well, I may be a bit behind but hear me out.

Smoothies are truly the quickest meal option out there to really jam pack a meal in a cup - something a tired or cranky kid is far more likely to drink when they do not feel like eating.  It also makes the perfect, healthy snack on-the-go and recently I have been using this for our pre-soccer practice snack for my three year-old.  Just make ahead and store it in the fridge or in a cooler bag with an ice pack. I have suggested this to several friends recently who wanted some healthy meal ideas for their kids and none had this in their rotation.

We drink a lot of smoothies in this house.  Usually, I make an entire blenders worth and doll it out at breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack until its gone.  It really does fine in the fridge all day.  By dinner time, I just add a few ice cubes and re-blend and no one knows the difference. Bonus: the toddler and the pre-schooler both can't get enough of this "special" drink.  Double Bonus: Pour yourself a glass for a filling snack or part 1 of lunch (I usually have a smoothie while my kids eat lunch and follow it with a salad once they go to nap.)


I generally just blend whatever I have on hand but always include: a frozen fruit, a liquid, fresh fruits or vegetables, and some plain yogurt.  Fresh fruit is the key ingredient as it adds enough sweetness for the kids to think its a treat.

Surprisingly, the Cusinart does a pretty good job blending.
Currently saving up for the holy grail- a Vitamix!
My Go-To Smoothie:
1-2 cups Unsweetened Almond or Coconut Milk
1/2-3/4 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Yogurt
1 cup Spinach or Kale (tear Kale into pieces)
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup fresh mango
1 tablespoon all-natural peanut butter
1 banana (I also peel and then freeze bananas for thickness)

Other Ideas:
Apples
Frozen Strawberries, Rasberries, Mango, Blackberries or any other frozen fruit (I also wash, dry and freeze fresh fruit when it's on sale to save on cost)
Avocado
Protein Powder (I use a vegan powder from my local health food store)
Chia Seeds
Fresh Watermelon
Fresh Pineapple
Citrus Fruits (We have Orange, Lemon, and Grapefruit trees in our backyard so I use that!)

This list could go on and on, but you get the idea.  Happy Blending!

"Mom, I'm busy, do not distract me right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment